The Sous Chef will be familiar with all of the daily operations of the kitchen, and must be able to perform any task in the kitchen as needed. Sous Chef will act as the intermediary between the kitchen and wait staff; strong leadership and communication abilities are a must.
Planning and directing food preparation.
• As the second in command, the Sous Chef is responsible for managing kitchen staff to ensure food is prepared properly.
• The Sous Chef must be a problem solver, ready to come up with on the spot solutions for problems that may occur in the kitchen.
• The Sous Chef will serve as the expediter for the kitchen.
• He/she will be responsible for arranging tickets and ordering food preparation so that customers receive food in the order it should be sent out.
• The Sous Chef is responsible for ensuring that food that leaves the kitchen is of the highest quality and will make diners happy.
• The Sous Chef will often be asked to ensure that portions are correct and the food is plated in an attractive manner.
Managing kitchen staff.
• The Sous Chef will be tasked with ensuring all kitchen workers are performing at the level required by a professional kitchen, and may come up with incentives to ensure that workers are putting their best effort forth.
Training and scheduling.
• The Sous Chef is in charge of training new employees and may be required to create the schedule to ensure adequate manning for the kitchen.